
I knew the Veterans Day program that the kids put on at school was coming up and so I have mentally been trying to prepare myself for this day, but it has all been for nothing. I walk into the gym on Tuesday afternoon and see all the flags hanging and immediately my eyes start to tear up. What is it about seeing the flags and hearing the National Anthem that make me get all teary? I can't even get through the first line of the dang song! And I am crying like a baby. I make the excuse its because I am the only one in the room who hasn't grown up singing this song and hearing all the other songs that my kids are learning and singing in Remembering those who have served this country. Yes that has to be the reason because I can't recall a time when I have ever been this emotional while singing O Canada. Maybe it's because I am older and realize what a sacrifice so many have made for me. I can't imagine Chas having to leave right now and go fight somewhere on the other side of the world and not knowing when he will come back or even IF.
At the end of the program they had all the Veterans in the audience come and stand at the front, most of them were crouched over and had very grey hair, if any, and the thought struck me that these men sacrificed not only for themselves, but for GENERATIONS to come. By that time I really couldn't hold it in any longer and let the tears just stream down my face, (like they are right now while I am thinking about it) and enjoyed the sight of all of these men who fought for our freedom and said a little prayer that I would be worthy to enjoy that freedom and teach my children to be patriotic and thankful for the blessings of being free.
After the program the younger kids and I went home and waited for the older two to get home. They both walked in the door and said that their friends said I was crying at the program, the funny thing was they didn't seem to surprised. I always cry, even when I feel the tiniest touch from the spirit. Blessing? I don't know, but it is a physical reminder to my children that I do feel the spirit and that is it real.
2 comments:
You're so amazing, Teija. I think more of us need to think the way you do and really appreciate the sacrifices made for us. Dan showed a you tube clip about the flag at our last pack meeting that told the background behind the Star Spangled Banner. It's pretty touching and hopefully helped those boys understand the cost of freedom a little more.
Teija, I must say you brought tears to my eyes as I read this. I am the same as you in the fact that I can't help but shed a tear when I hear this National Anthem and we were at the volleyball game the other night and I hate crying in front of people. For some reason I go back to when we were in Ketchacan Alaska and were were playing in the championship came.. anyways they are a touching site to see, and songs to sing adn good to remember those who sacrificed for us and future generations.
Post a Comment