Saturday, January 28, 2012

Out of place

So I went with Chas to a work banquet last night... interesting. Is was in Baker at the Baker SWCD (Soil & Water Conservation District) winter banquet. So when you hear the word banquet and get the memo of semi formal, I am thinking nice sunday dress right? Wrong. I felt so out of place. Me, yes me of all people, was over dressed, never thought that could happen in a million years. I should have known around here formal to most people means, nice jeans, perhaps a new shirt and your boots all polished up. Holy did I feel dumb, glad we were sitting most of the time so no one could see my high heels, yes I have one pair that I wear once a year to the Anderson Perry Christmas banquet which really is semi formal. Anyway that was one part of the evening.
Since Chas does a lot of irrigation diversions and stream restoration stuff he works with a lot of ranchers. That should have been my number one clue. Anyway you know how on TV you see company parties and everyone is drinking wine and its elegant and that kind of atmosphere? Well I have always pictured that since Chas is an engineer if we ever went to meetings like that that's how it would be. Imagine my surprise when we walk in over dressed and see a whole room full of cowboy hats and everyone is drinking beer. I found it quite hilarious! And smiled to myself throughout the evening just observing our surroundings. I found it ironic that I was the one dressed up, in a sea of boots and jeans. There is no way on this earth I would rather dress up than pull on my boots and wear my comfy jeans, especially when nylons are really squishing my growing belly! Anyway I am sure we stuck out like a sore thumb, now I find it quite hilarious, but last night I wanted to crawl in a hole.
It was a nice evening though once I (kind of) got over myself. Yum, let me tell you if you want to go and have some good Prime Rib, go to a room full of ranchers, it was delish! There were four SWCD's there and each one recognized one person as the conservationist of the year, I found it very interesting how many ranchers are on board with conserving natural resources and that kind of stuff, very cool. All four were ranchers in the area and the have ranches that have been in their families anywhere from 3-6 generations. Pretty awesome!
Sometimes we just have to get outside our comfort zones and that's all it is uncomfortable!

2 comments:

Pariera Family said...

I have been there... it seems like it is the same here, they just polish the dust off the boots and that is semi-formal :0) I am sorry that I didn't talk to you that much, Thad's parents just got to the house and we had some friends over and the kids were running all over and I couldn't hear very well... I will call you this week...Love ya

Kira said...

I love this story. I have never had that happen. Formal in CA meant tuxedo. I hate the smell of wine, is beer any better? I love your story.

Brooklyn or Emree?

Brooklyn or Emree?
Just thought you all might like to see how much Brooklyn and Emree look alike, its kind of scary actually! Especially that Emree wears all the clothes that Brooklyn used to wear, I better make sure I get the right name to the right picture in the scrapbooks...well photo albums anyway. This is Brooklyn when she was 10 months old!

First day of School!

First day of School!

My Pride and Joy!

My Pride and Joy!
Next to my kids this is my pride and joy, I love working in the garden! Chas likes it too, he doesn't have to weed! Actually he always takes care of the kids while I spend time there. It's so nice!

Funny Story 1

Well I haveto share this funny story about Brooklyn. There is a little girl in our primary who got her appendix out shortly after she was baptized and showed Brooklyn her scar, so here is Brooklyn's conversation with me the other day. Brooklyn: "Mom I don't think I want to get baptized." Me: "Why not?" Brook: "It's too scary." And I'm thinking she loves the water, what is the problem? Me: "Whats scary about it?" Brook: "I don't want to go to the hospital and be cut open after I am baptized." I started laughing!!! "You think everyone has to be cut open after they get baptized?" Brook: yes, Jenny did and she even showed me her scar. So I had to explain to her that that was not part of getting baptized, it just happened that it was close to the same time with Jenny. I thought it was so hilarious, you never know what your kids are actually thinking!!

What a handsome boy!

What a handsome boy!

Achoo!

Achoo!
Emree right before a sneeze~

Something"s funny!

Something"s funny!