Friday, December 6, 2013
Charity
I did something today that I don't usually do. It really made me stop and think, after I did it of course. I took the little boys with me to Walmart today and while driving out of the parking lot I saw an older woman pushing a walker going into the store. The sight of her broke my heart. No gloves, so hat, just a coat. And it is COLD here right now. I had just put on my headband to warm my ears when I saw her. I wondered why someone was not with her, driving her to town and why she wasn't dressed warmer, and the thought came to me that maybe she doesn't have someone to take care of her, which honestly made me teary. So I stopped in the middle of the road, hopped out of the car and gave her the headband which was on my head. I asked her if she needed some gloves as well, (mine were in the back) but she said she couldn't fit gloves over the wrist braces she had on both hands and showed me them. I asked her if she needed anything else, she said, "No, I think I will be ok, thank you! Merry Christmas." I told her Merry Christmas back and felt bad there was nothing else I could do for her. I wished I had bought some groceries in the store and could have given her some, I wish I had some cash stashed in the car for such an occasion, but I didn't. It really made me think, I need to have a gift kit in the car at all times. So my goal is to get one and stock it with boxes of granola bars, gloves, toques and other things that people at this time of year might need. Once the kids are out of school we are going to go to the dollar store and spend $20 and get 10 hats and 10 pairs of gloves and drive around town and see how many we can give away to people that look like they could use them. I think that will be so fun and I am truly excited to see how it goes. I hope that my children will remember this occasion and that we can do something like this every year. After we left Beckett asked, "Mom when is that lady going to bring back your head thing?" I told him that she could keep it forever because she needed it more than me. "Oh, ok." was his reponse, I hope my children all remember that to give is really to receive. I can't tell you how much this little thing has made me think about all of the blessings I have and enjoy each day. I need to do better at looking past myself and truly looking at the world and trying to make it a better place. Everyone needs the love of the Savior in their lives. So to anyone who reads this, I challenge you to find someone, somewhere and let them feel the Savior's love through you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Brooklyn or Emree?
Just thought you all might like to see how much Brooklyn and Emree look alike, its kind of scary actually! Especially that Emree wears all the clothes that Brooklyn used to wear, I better make sure I get the right name to the right picture in the scrapbooks...well photo albums anyway. This is Brooklyn when she was 10 months old!
First day of School!
My Pride and Joy!
Next to my kids this is my pride and joy, I love working in the garden! Chas likes it too, he doesn't have to weed! Actually he always takes care of the kids while I spend time there. It's so nice!
Funny Story 1
Well I haveto share this funny story about Brooklyn. There is a little girl in our primary who got her appendix out shortly after she was baptized and showed Brooklyn her scar, so here is Brooklyn's conversation with me the other day.
Brooklyn: "Mom I don't think I want to get baptized."
Me: "Why not?"
Brook: "It's too scary."
And I'm thinking she loves the water, what is the problem?
Me: "Whats scary about it?"
Brook: "I don't want to go to the hospital and be cut open after I am baptized."
I started laughing!!! "You think everyone has to be cut open after they get baptized?"
Brook: yes, Jenny did and she even showed me her scar.
So I had to explain to her that that was not part of getting baptized, it just happened that it was close to the same time with Jenny. I thought it was so hilarious, you never know what your kids are actually thinking!!
What a handsome boy!
Achoo!
Emree right before a sneeze~
Something"s funny!
2 comments:
Very cool! For FHE last week we went to the dollar store and bought enough stuff to put together 10 care kits for the homeless/needy. We included gloves and hats, hand warmers, hand sanitizer, toothbrushes, wet wipes etc. The boys loved it and we are going to keep them in the cars so we can hand one out whenever we see someone in need!
that is a great idea!!! THanks Karli!
Post a Comment